BOING! A rebounding noise. I am the rebound. I had a date last Saturday, which went spectacularly well. We went to the Guinness Store House in Dublin, and then for pints in the Front Lounge. Basically, we just wound up getting trollied in the middle of the afternoon, and going for a kebab. But it wasn’t what we did, it was the conversation and the atmosphere that was the best part.
His name is Greg, and I’ve known him for ages. Thing is, we got really close back in January/February, and we saw eye to eye on loads of things. He then got with this guy I have no particularly strong feelings about, and disappeared off the radar for the duration of that relationship. I saw him for about 5 seconds during Pride but that was about it.
So shortly after pride, I saw him then boyfriends update on Facebook saying that he was single again. Less than three days after I saw this, Greg mails me on facebook, asking me what I was doing at the weekend.
So. My conundrum is this: Despite obvious, em, tensions/flirtations/suggestions I’ve had before with Greg, am I a rebound?
Obviously I deserve better! That much is obvious! But am I the rebound, or should I attempt to make something of this. Oh, and Greg is thirty one. How does that change your already formed opinion? HA!
On a completely unrelated note, I’m going on a work thing tonight. Y’see, in this small, shitty, one-horse town, the local youth have no option but to get as drunk as possible, as that is all people seem to do, from listening to them. I thought I went out a lot, and drank too much but my god! It’s unbelievable. I find myself looking down on it. So everyone is going to be really drunk, and I have to try and not make a show of myself tonight! Wish me luck!

15 comments:
do you want a relationship with a picket fence and a chinese adopted baby, or do you wan't a fling.
If it is the latter just go for it.
However just prepare yourself for the 'I wanna enjoy being single for a while'
Well ya already know how I feel on the matter... You deserve better! ... At least greg is upgrading!
Sam, you're not the rebound.
Reading this, I can totally understand why you thought that we were on date last Saturday, but as far as I was concerned, we weren't. I'm really sorry if I gave you that impression.
I love your company. As you said, we see eye to eye on a lot of things. I had great fun hanging out with you on Saturday - talking to you and getting drunk with you. The reason I wanted to see you was because I hadn't seen you for far too long and I missed you. To be honest, I was feeling really down after the break-up and I wanted to spend time with someone that I felt comfortable with and that I knew I'd have fun and a laugh with.
You're a great guy. I'd be lucky to go out with you. But I'm not looking for someone to go out with right now. I still have really strong feelings for my ex and I'm in no way ready to start a relationship with anyone else. I value our friendship too much to risk damaging it with a fling. That may sound corny, but it also happens to be true. I guess I'm not really into the whole rebound thing, to be honest.
(I'm also not into picket-fences or adopting Chinese babies, but that's kinda beside the point.)
I hope you don't think I'm a dick as a result of this. I really did not mean to mislead you or give you any false impressions.
And Mannequin, I agree that Sam would deserve a lot better than to be the rebound for someone coming out of a relationship. I hope you believe me that I had no intention of doing that to him. Whether or not you think I would have been "upgrading".
@ "Greg" why did you stop getting in contact with him when you got into a relationship?
@Anonymous
Although I admit I was in contact with Sam a lot less during the time I was in a relationship, I didn't actually disappear completely! We had some MSN conversations and I did see him on a couple of nights out during that time.
I had a few financial problems during that time too, which meant that I couldn't go out as much as I would have liked. So there was that too.
I didn't deliberately decide to ignore Sam or anything! Although, understandably I think, I was more focused on my boyfriend during that time.
Greg,
I like the way you responded and your answer to the question that I shared with anonymous. You sound like a good guy, which makes it a pity you are not yet interesting in more than friendship with Sam. However, lovers come and go, but friends stay friends forever, right?
About rebounds. Watch out, mine stayed with me for eight years...
" You sound like a good guy, which makes it a pity you are not yet interesting in more than friendship with Sam."
I could KILL you for making me sound desperate! It makes me sound so pathetic :S
Oh, come one Sam, doesn't everyone want a good guy? I do too. Does that make me sound pathetic? (Note that that is a RETHORICAL question)
Sam! For what it's worth, I really, honestly don't think that makes you sound desperate. Or pathetic. At all.
@ Greg
Well without seeming like an asshole, it seems like you're just using Sam now that you don't have your boyfriend anymore... Think about it, you talk to Sam, give him all this attention, your boyfriend comes along and you're gone for 5 months, and the second you two break up all of a sudden you want to meet up with him again
@ Anonymous
Well, without seeming like an asshole, Sam's opinion is what matters to me, not that of a random stranger on the internet.
Didn't think you'd be able to answer the question
@Anonymous: Have you ever been in a relationship? Some can me very energy and time consuming, and there are more reasons why Greg could have not gone out with Sam. Moreover, Greg said he understood the cause of the misunderstanding and blamed himself. What more do you want from Greg?
Yes Jackdaw I have been, and always find time for my friends rather than just use them when it suits me!
@Anonymous: Not all relationship permit that luxury, and there are different levels of friends. As for 'using' people, usually people 'use' each other and both enjoy that.
Post a Comment