Older. Calmer. Wiser.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

The Grapevine

How people become managers in rural businesses is obviously different to how things happen in civilisation. My manager is being very passive aggressive with how she feels. I refilled the fluid in the air conditioning wrong on Thursday, I overfilled it because the full marker had completely faded and nobody said that to me. So anyway, yesterday, Monday, it was just herself and myself on the morning shift, and she was being really nice to me. But she had said to someone, who had said to someone, who had said to someone, who said it to one of the receptionists that I fucked up the air conditioning. So I heard that my manager was mad at me through idle gossip from one of the receptionists. Lovely.

“my god you’re stupid”

What an awful thing to say to someone. Yet to was said to me.

There’s a staff night out on Saturday, and I’m not going to go. I don’t want to see then in a social setting, I just want to go in, work, and then leave. The backstabbing, bitchy, passive aggressive nature of a tiny community grates on my last nerve. Particularly because I’m quite blunt.

1 comment:

Dean Grey said...

I'm sorry to hear this, Sam!

I think part of the problem is your coworkers might be treating you like shit because you're so much younger than them.

It's easier to poke and prod "the kid" than someone much older who could cause trouble to those higher up.

You made the right decision by avoiding staff night!

-Dean