Older. Calmer. Wiser.

Saturday, June 05, 2010

S, U, double C, E, double S.

**THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED. TO THOSE WITH RSS FEEDS, RE-READ THIS VERSION BEFORE COMMENTING PLEASE**


That’s how you confuse yourself writing a post title! Ha!

This letter arrived at the house, and was sitting on my bed when I arrived home on Thursday afternoon. They spelt my surname wrong, so I knew it was from college.

Dear Sam, it reads,

Congratulations on your result. As you can see you have achieved a full award. These results are provisional, you will receive your final certificate from FETAC.

Yours Sincerely.

So basically, I win. I got my FETAC award, which gives me a certificate in Travel Tourism and Business studies. So I shout downstairs to my mam, and tell her basically that I got my award, and she’s like “oh brilliant, congratulations”. But like, it wasn’t a particularly challenging year, and it feels like I didn’t even have to work for this. And I didn’t. It’s a bit ridiculous, but she’s acting like it’s this huge thing.

Oh, more importantly, she’s having a hysterectomy. I don’t know what that is yet (my internet just crashed this second). Oh, here’s what it is! Anyway, she’s having one of them.

I’m not all that concerned about it, to be honest. She’ll be fine, obviously if she’s not making a big deal about it, it’s not a big deal. Right?

1 comment:

Jackdaw said...

"[...] obviously if she’s not making a big deal about it, it’s not a big deal. Right?"

Wrong. That men's logic and she's a woman. Even if she literally tells you it's not a big deal, it can still mean that it is -- even more likely than not.

I think a hysterectomy is always a big thing for a woman: both the idea behind the surgery and the mood changes afterward. If you want to be treated more like an adult by her, this is your chance to show that you understand her feelings and concerns and that you can listen, instead of only living in your own little world (refecting your mom's thoughts, not mine per se).

After the surgery she will have to spend a few weeks in bed. I would do some real effort to surprise her with a book you are sure she will love, and write something personal on the first empty page.