Older. Calmer. Wiser.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Future Reflections

'I don't know', I said with a pang of frustration in my voice. My College application form lying open. It was about this time last year, and I had no idea what I wanted to do. What I was going to turn myself into. What box I was going to fall into after college.

'What about engineering?' Money is great, always guaranteed a job. What about personal happiness?

So down it went. The course codes went in the boxes, in order of preference.

I knew I didn't want this. I don't want to be a gruff, greasy, man, who spends their time fixing things. I want to have fun. I want to be fun. I want a fun life.

So I didn't say, 'No, what about event management? What about Sociology?' I want to be social, not maintenance.

But in the back of my mind, was the reason I didn't say anything, because gays can't be engineers? it's a game of hard men and hard headed women.

But what could I say? I felt like my future was a runaway train.

 

And now. I've been in college for seven weeks. Tomorrow will be the eighth week. I don't want to do this. I know how to do this, but I don't want it. But what can I do? When things go quiet, and the day is over, I'm left with my personal thoughts. That I made a bad choice.

I always seem to distract myself. I couldn't bear bringing it up in front of my parents.

I don't want to not go to college, and wind up without an education. That way of life was always painted in grayscale for me.

My parents need me to succeed. Only one of my parents went to college, but not in this country. It wasn't a given for their generation. But it is for mine. So they see how precious it is. And they push. and push. and push.

Sooner or later something has to give.

My brother, J, messed up his chance.

He went to college, biopharmaceuticals. And then he started drinking 5 days and nights a week. And dropped out. And now works in an off licence (a liquor store to you. It's called an off licence, because the alcohol is consumed off the licensed premises). I digress.

So they are worried. They are scrambling for patterns. "What did J do, that Sam is doing now? Sam hasn't studied this week? He's become J. Quick!"

It' suffocating. Truly suffocating. It's been niggling away for a while, but I have no idea how to say anything. Like how do you tell your parents that you don't want a respectable, well paying career. Even trying that last sentence, it seems ridiculous.

But it's like wearing ill-fitting clothes. It feels wrong, and it's not right. I fit in, I have friends. I understand 80% of what's going on. I just have no desire to do it.

But what do I desire to do? I have no clue. I have no direction.

I couldn't think of the words to type this. Now that I have, it seems like a mammoth task to do the necessary action.

Have I wasted an education? In Ireland the government pays for college the first time you apply. This is my 'free ride'. If I drop out, I have to pay significantly next time.  

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam, right now you're doing the most important thing you can do: thinking seriously about your problem and yourself.

I was arguing about this with Jack just the other night: the European model expects adolescents to make life choices when they have hardly started to live. I think the function of education is to open the world, not narrow to a specialty.

The only old fart wisdom I can add to what you already know is that the goal of spending your life having fun is almost certain to lead to failure. Don't confuse 'fun' and 'joy'.

And talk to Jack.

Rick

Jackdaw said...

This is quite heavy stuff. I think you need to action. Isn't there a policy that you can switch before a certain date without financial consequences.

What you need to do now is make up your mind about what you really DO want. And I really wanna help you with this, and guide you as well as I can.

I have seen this coming, and so have you, but I'm a bit shocked by this post anyway. If you wanna talk about this, just text me and I'll be online for you.

Sam. I. Am. said...

Jack & Rick:


I need to sit down, and think. I need to see what I can see myself doing and still loving in 30 years.

no easy feat.

Volodya said...

Are you sure you can't transfer to another course? Do check it twice...

Sam. I. Am. said...

I'm on the DIT website looking for the course&careers services page. going to book an appointment ASAP.

Wanna go do something cultural at some point this week. I'd love to meet you and (I forgot your partners name....)

Sam. I. Am. said...

Tim is his name :)

Volodya said...

Sure. I would like to go to the French film festival at the IFI sometime during the week - are you interested?

Sam. I. Am. said...

I'm free most evenings, except Wednesday & The weekend if your free? I'm going camping this weekend...

J. said...

If the government is paying for your education and you're not sure what you want to do, why not just take misc low level required classes until you figure out what you want? Paying for school is not fun and if it's free why not take the advantage. If it royally sucks there's always other options.

Anonymous said...

I think the best thing you can do is continue with this area of education, fulfill all requirements and make sure to take extra classes in something you find really interesting and useful. College is about learning and enjoying the education you get but it's also important to have the right set of skills to get a good job afterwards.

Don't stress out too much, though. This is only your first year and I'm sure the next few are gonna be a lot better.

Sam. I. Am. said...

Sean, Joe, Vlad, Jack and Rick,

Thanks for your amazing advice. You all have no idea how much I appreciated it!

I'm just going to do my course, but 'cushion' how shit it is, by doing a shitload of extra stuff, like trips away, societies and clubs etc...

Hopefully the 3 years will fly in and then I can go back and do my Sociology and Event Management degree!

Volodya said...

Check the transfer options though. It might be worth trying, if you're sure about what you want.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, here I was going to weigh in with old fart advice and have been beaten to it ... by Europeans! Ack, my Yankee pride is wounded. Oh, wait, I don't have any.

Here's something that'll make you feel awful: I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. And I'm pretty sure that I got my undergraduate degree in a field that failed to interest me (gods, don't tell my parents -- unlike in Eire, education in the US is NOT free, and I'll be paying for it for the next fifteen years).

I agree with what the others say -- do the best you can. I know from watching others that if you bow out, you'll never get back, and you will wind up regretting that.

Oh, and my last piece of advice: being serious all the time is totally overrated.

Sam. I. Am. said...

Vlad: I can transfer after mjy first year, so if i'm still hating it next year, I'm going to transfer

Chris: Yankee pride? Oh, I would get smart, but it's too easy :P

I'm going to see over the next few months, if it excites me any more.

Pay? for education? HAHAHAHA!
Not a chance, princess!