Cracker here!
Just following up on Sam's comments on foreign people with a bit of insight of my own!
I don't have a problem with people "stealing our jobs" or whatever.
I actually think that is a stupid phrase seeing as the vast majority of immigrants taking jobs over here work in unskilled, underpaid labour. I mean if that's stealing its probably your own fault for not getting off your arse and not bettering yourself in the first place! Who wants to work in a greasy fast food place for the rest of your life?!?!? And if they take a well paid, qualified job? Its because they have the qualifications for that job and are more suited to the job than you are. In that case, their nationality has nothing to do with it!
The only thing about all this that I don't like is when people of foreign origins are placed in a position where the language barrier prevents them from doing an efficient job. Take for example my Indian manager, who will remain unnamed. I work in your typical pizza place, good enough job for what it is, lovely people, good hours, etc. But this manager, one of the four that I have, has absolutely NO IDEA how to deal with his staff or the customers. I mean I work with a lot of foreign people, there are 5 Irish nationals in the shop to their 30 odd... and for the most part we all get along and are friendly and nice. But he is just a complete idiot sometimes and treats us like we are pretty moronic too!
For example, I was on my break a few days ago, and went outside for a quick smoke. I timed myself with 10 minutes left on my break. The shop was busy, he came looking for me. Fair enough if he had have asked me politely I would have been straight back in helping everyone. But he came out, gave me evil looks then jabbed his thumb inside as if to say "what gives you the right to be out here when everyone else is working." I called him into the office for a few words when it all calmed down, and politely but firmly told him that I would not be taking any of it, If he wants me to do him a favour he asks politely and doesn't treat me like that. Needless to say I got my 10 minutes of break back!
That's only one example but whether its to do with the language barrier or not he really has no personal skills and it bothers me that he could be given the managerial post on such a bad manner.
xxx
Older. Calmer. Wiser.
Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment