It seems to be a mantra which is becoming more and more prevalent, no matter what the situation. Relationships, both mental and physical seem that much more special when their not an everyday occurrence.
I overtalk. Twitter, Blogger, Facebooker, (I can’t believe I’m laughing at my own joke right now) Skype, SMS’s and free calls from my service provider all result in not just me, but my whole generation is over communicating, but not actually communicating properly.
If you talk to someone every day, you will burn out the common interest between you, like your life and the life of yer mate will be come so predictable, so parallel, that you’ll lose the desire to speak to the person. Like running into a next door neighbour on public transport. You can’t escape, and the only thing that links you is that you both overspent on a house in the same area.
Sex. Yes, Sex. I’m a bit of a whore, I’ll admit, and as of yesterday, I was out with a guy I really like. We went for coffee, and we had witty banter, and there was a moment, but I though “ugh, again?”. The ‘special’ is gone. He was amazing, and because I’m so done with knowing what the end result of most male contact is, I no longer want it. It’s like eating ice cream after every meal. Soon you begin to hate it.
I’m now becoming a quality, not quantity man. And it is difficult. I’ve gone from introvert to extrovert, and now, now I need to pull back slightly, and maybe keep the Ace and the Jack close to my chest, what matters to me like.
My life isn’t a spectator sport. I’m going to make sure of it. You won’t catch me on Skype or MSN for the next week. Constant availability isn’t an attractive feature. Who goes to a bar and orders clean fluoride water from a tap? Nobody. Sorry Africa, but fresh piped water is so 1960s. What people want is someone who has gossip, a catch up, a friend you haven’t seen in quite some time. a pint of mixed berry Kopparberg with loads of crushed ice please :)
I think it’s why relationships fail. Like I am on MSN somewhat constantly, and same with Skype. I can’t remember my PIN code for my phone, because I’ve never needed it, and I got a new SIM card recently (Americans, this doesn’t apply to you, and your UMTS system). Thing is though, that nobody seems to contact me, with a fistful of exceptions. If I was online once a week, would I be flooded with conversation as soon as I sign in?
We’ll see. We will see.

4 comments:
There's a lot of truth is what you wrote here. One thing I'd like to point out though, is that it's amazing that sometimes you have much more to talk about with people you see every day, than with people you see once a year. The reason is that if you meet someone only once a year, you don't wanna bother them with unimportant stuff, and most of our time we do completely unimportant things. Someone you see everyday knows everything about you, and you feel more comfortable talking with them about redundant stuff.
You know you're old friends when after not seeing each other for years, you immedaitely feel comfortable to talk with them about everyday life.
The problem with the internet is that people don't really choose to enter a conversation or be available, which makes conversation empty and one-sided.
It's the first post from you in quite while that really had me thinking. (I could have put a period after "while".)
I miss you!
well, what we would talk about is very unimportant, and I don't want things to get burnt out. and I could smell the sulphur from the matches for a while, so this is just cooling off. shan't be on msn or skype for the week. this is sam time.
I will try to post more, but knowing me, it probably won't happen
Thankfully my 2 best buds and I rarely if ever communicate electronically. We may see each other every other day, but we're not in constant contact. I think that helps.
I agree with Jack. If someone comes onto MSN and asks 'what have you been up to' i draw a blank. Where do i start and will they even care because most likely its a you have to be there sort of thing.
Where as i can text people and chat on msn to people i speak to everyday because we have things to chat and discuss about. We have our private jokes and we have those common interests.
Post a Comment