Older. Calmer. Wiser.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Feet.

Todays post is a serious topic, with a clever analogy. I was thinking about it in work, and the waitresses gave me awesome advice!

So imagine you’re standing on a pier. concrete, and railings painted in faded red paint.

you look down and see a boat. with a 250hp Yamaha outboard, and the keys in the ignition.

there is nobody but you.

do you stay on the pier. do you stay in safety and routine because you know it, and it’s all very flowers in the garden, or do you throw caution to the wind, and hop into the Yamaha, and hope it floats?

OR

Do you climb down to the Yamaha, keeping one foot in the boat, and one on the pier, and see what happens. But until you secure the boat, you keep the pier to hand.

Because if you run to the Yamaha, with blind faith, it might sink. or run out of petrol. and you'll be left with nothing. when you could be standing on the pier. cement and red railings don’t ever run out of petrol.

 

Will I stay on safe, routinic concrete, or will I jump in the boat, and see what happens?

I really really need comments on this one!

5 comments:

Mind Of Mine said...

I have to say.

I am a jump in the boat and speed away kind of person.

Staying on the pier means wondering what could have been.

Jackdaw said...

It actually looks as if you present three choices rather than two, but anyway.

You were swimming to an unknown destination and found the pier on your way. You climbed on it and enjoyed being able to relax.

However, now you feel you are not getting anywhere while staying on the pier. And so, when you saw the Yamaha, you thought it might be a way to relax and move forward at the same time, and I agree that it is.

I wonder why you are so afraid to fall in the water. You know you can swim. You haven't done anything but swimming until you found the pier.

Climbing down the Yamaha with one foot on the pier will:
...require the Yahama to be very closeby, wheras if you run and jump you have a bigger chance to catch the boat, even when it's further away.
...slow down the Yahama. And I thought you wanted to move forward.
...make you stay on the pier when the boat rocks more than you are used to. And I'd rather see you swim forward than stay on the pier.

Anonymous said...

I say just fuck me over the pier again

C said...

A pier doesn't disappear when you leave it behind. And a speedboat can get you to nicer piers. Possibly ones that don't have Roy 'Chubby' Brown performing at the theatre on the end of the pier. Tell us more.

Ryan said...

Jump. If you don't jump, you might regret it for the rest of your life. If you do jump, you're not gonna regret it, because you're either gonna be happy or dead. I guess it's a personal choice for everybody.