Sam here....
I was watching the news tonight (remember Ireland is 6 hours ahead of the east coast, or 9 hours ahead of the west coast) and this thing jumped at me. It was a segment about a woman who had lung cancer, and was dying from it. The walls of the throat and oesophagus and breathing system had become so thin that she couldn't walk 6 feet without gasping. She needed to pull a tank of oxygen around with her at all times.
Yet she continued to smoke.
I was pissed off at this because here is this heart-wrenching story of a woman who'll choose to, in her words "never see my grankids attend school for the first time". She chose that. If she didn't smoke, but got cancer, I'd have sympathy, but she brought it on herself. So I have none, and I don't see why that woman should deserve free treatment over other people who could actually use it and not undo the good it's doing with every cigarette.
Sometimes that country makes me want to not be Irish. I'm sorry to say, but the government has to pull it's socks us big time, if we're to survive the oncoming depression.
Sorry to be so negative today, but it hasn't been a good day.
Older. Calmer. Wiser.
Thursday, March 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment