Older. Calmer. Wiser.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Magnetic North

July 12th is like, the hot shit in Northern Ireland. It’s all to do with the Battle of the Boyne!

I'm going to put on Jeans and explain it to ye now :)

Now, as ye all know, the UK occupies the north of Ireland. It’s part of British rule, and the rest is the Irish Free State. Before that, however, The UK rules all of Ireland, as a result of the Battle of the Boyne.

King Billy and King James fought at the River Boyne, and the English one (I’m not sure which is which) won. And that victory started the UK rule in Ireland.

So July 12th is the day the Unionists, those who want British Rule in Ireland, celebrate the victory at the battle of the Boyne. There’s marches, and bonfires and a public holiday.

Which means that the hotel I’m working in will be out the fucking door with people off for the 3 day weekend. I couldn’t give a shite about who won what!

I believe that northern Ireland is better. I think that the people up here are so much more adaptable, and it seems that they appreciate what they’ve got. It feels like Switzerland (I was there in 2005). I’ve been accepted up here, and I haven’t had one problem.

The honeymoon period has well and truly worn off, and I still love it. It just seems to be a happier place. All I need is friends and a car and thing would be perfect. I could see myself living here full time.

And I never thought it possible! I love Dublin, but it’s got such an air of action not yet taken about it. Like the north is over all it’s action, being the paramilitary's, and the troubles that scarred the people. Now all everyone wants to do is live full lives and have fun. In Dublin, nothing real has happened. Not since 1916 anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get a bike!